Tokyo, December 22, 2017 - Rakuten, Inc. today announced that it has concluded a comprehensive cooperation agreement with Jinsekikogen Town, Hiroshima Prefecture, with the aim of developing the local economy and improving convenience for local residents through the use of Rakuten Group’s services and technology.
Based on this agreement, Rakuten and Jinsekikogen Town will promote mutual collaboration and cooperation in the following six areas:
- Transportation, such as drone-based logistics in mountainous regions
- Expansion of markets for Jinsekikogen Town products both in Japan and globally
- Promotion of “Furusato Nozei” (hometown tax payments)
- Promotion of the use of IT by Jinsekikogen Town businesses
- Promotion of the use of IT in collaboration with local schools
- Other activities to revitalize Jinsekikogen Town’s economy and improve convenience for residents
Prior to this agreement, in September 2017, Rakuten and Jinsekikogen Town concluded a cooperation agreement with respect to agriculture, and have already begun collaborating via Rakuten’s agricultural service Rakuten Ragri. With this latest comprehensive cooperation agreement, Rakuten and Jinsekikogen Town’s collaboration will expand to incorporate a number of other Rakuten services, including Rakuten Drone. Rakuten’s drone-based delivery service will provide support for individuals who have difficulty shopping and assist in the transportation of relief supplies during disasters. Rakuten will also help Jinsekikogen Town open an online fresh produce market utilizing the company’s internet shopping mall Rakuten Ichiba.
Rakuten advocates a corporate philosophy of contributing to people and society through innovation. Through this comprehensive partnership with Jinsekikogen Town, Rakuten aims to contribute to the well-being of the town and its residents.