As a Global Innovation Company, Rakuten prioritizes continuous learning and supports its staff in their efforts to learn new skills and abilities.
All employees are assigned a grade upon entering the company and given the right to receive grade-based training, which is designed to improve individual and organizational skills and to produce talented individuals who can play an active role on a global scale.
This training program helps staff acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to make optimal decisions and play an active role within the organization.
[Examples training programs]
- For new graduates
- new employee training, etc.
Click here for information on training for new graduates
- For junior employees
- logical thinking, time management, mentor training, etc.
- For mid-level employees
- project management, problem-solving skills training, etc.
- For managers
- management and leadership training, etc.
- For all employees
- data training, etc.
Global Leadership Development Training
Rakuten’s Englishnization project, which introduced English as the company’s official language, has achieved several key results, including strengthened communication throughout Rakuten’s diverse workforce, and the hiring of talented people from all over the world. Today, we have employees with over 70 different nationalities working together, and to further accelerate innovation, many of our employees are engaged in global leadership development training programs.
- English language training
- If necessary, employees can take supportive training to improve their communication skills in English.
- Japanese language training
- We provide online Japanese language training for employees who wish to improve their communication skills in Japanese.
- Cross-cultural training
- We provide training to learn the skills necessary for effective communication and trust building in diverse teams.
- Global leadership training
- We provide support for study abroad at some of the world’s leading business schools.
Other Training Programs
- Example of a training program
- Training for tech jobs: We have training programs for tech jobs.
Click here for information on training for engineers
We introduced a structure of regular 1-on-1 meetings in 2018 to ensure that each employee achieves their maximum performance. The purpose of this initiative is to create a “learning organization” where the relationship of trust between supervisors and subordinates staff is strengthened and both parties can continue to learn from each other through mutual feedback.
open position system
One of Rakuten’s unique career path programs is the “Open Position System.” Whenever a project or department needs new personnel, those in charge will look for potential recruits both externally as well as internally. This system is one of the mechanisms we use to support employees with strong aspirations and career ambitions to create their own future by providing opportunities for growth.
Competency and performance-based evaluation systems
Rakuten Group, Inc.’s evaluation system consists of “competency evaluation” and “performance evaluation,” both of which are conducted once every six months.
The “competency evaluation” is based on whether the employee has continuously demonstrated what is expected of them, with the results of this evaluation reflected in their subsequent salary.
The “performance evaluation” is based on the results and achievements of an employee’s actions, with the results of this evaluation reflected in their bonus.
Regardless of the number of years an employee has been with us, we provide an environment where they can receive fair evaluations for their contributions and achievements and progress in their career.
“Competency Evaluation” Criteria that Reflects Rakuten’s Basic Principles
Competency assessment criteria are defined based on the 11 elements considered requirements in the “Five Concepts of Success” within the Rakuten Shugi (Rakuten Basic Principles), the resulting evaluation of which is codified into one of six ratings (B, BB, BBB, A, AA, AAA). In addition, the content of the competency required for each rating is stated clearly so as to encourage each employee’s personal development of their competency.
[Competency Evaluation 11 Criteria]
- Always Improve, Always Advance
- 1. Take on Challenges 2. Innovate 3. Get Things Done
- Hypothesize → Implement → Verify → Systematize
- 4. Formulate strategies 5. Move people and products 6. Systematize
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!!
- 7. Make decisions in a speedy manner
- Thorough Professionalism
- 8. Being aware of one’s involvement 9. Cultivate human resources 10. Team building
- Maximizing Client
- 11. Increasing value for clients