Tokyo, April 28, 2021 – Japan Post Holdings Co., Ltd., and Rakuten Group, Inc. today shared a progress update regarding the business alliance agreement announced on March 12, 2021, between Japan Post Holdings, Japan Post and Rakuten.
1. Business alliance overview
Both Groups have agreed on the following business alliance collaboration items (as of April 28, 2021):
- Creation of shared logistics centers
- Creation of shared delivery and pick-up systems
- Collaborations and initiatives between Japan Post and Rakuten to expand usage of Rakuten Fulfillment Centers and Japan Post’s “Yu-Pack” parcels
- Establishment of a new joint venture by Japan Post and Rakuten to conduct the above initiatives (see section 2 below for more details), and joint commercialization of a digital transformation platform for logistics (Target: July 2021)
- Utilization of post office event space to create customer counters to accept new signup applications for Rakuten Mobile and other functions
- Utilization of Japan Post Group’s post office and delivery network for marketing initiatives
- Conducting trials ahead of nationwide implementation of above initiatives. Trials planned to start at approximately 10 post offices in May 2021.
- Consultation and discussion on Japan Post Group and Rakuten Group personnel exchange to support the digital transformation of Japan Post Group
- Additional support from Rakuten Group to support the digital transformation of Japan Post Group
- Preparations to offer a Japan Post Bank Design branded Rakuten Card in 2021
- Consultation and discussion regarding a credit card to be issued by Japan Post Bank using the Rakuten Card platform, based on progress of Japan Post Bank Design branded Rakuten Card
- Consultation and discussion on other cashless payment-related collaboration
- Consultation and discussion on collaboration in the insurance field
- Consultation and discussion on sales of products offered by Japan Post on Rakuten-operated websites
- Consultation and discussion on accepting order applications for products sold on Rakuten Ichiba at post offices
In addition to the items outlined above, both Groups will discuss and consider other strategic collaborations that contribute to increasing their respective corporate value.
2. Overview of new company (*Details subject to change)
Company name: JP Rakuten Logistics, Inc.
Capital: 100 million yen
Shareholding ratio: Japan Post 50.1%, Rakuten 49.9%
Business overview: Logistics business