Tokyo, July 6, 2017 - Rakuten, Inc. announced today that it has partnered with Satsumasendai City and the Satsumasendai Tourism & Specialty Products Association in a comprehensive collaboration agreement to use the internet to revitalize the regional economy of Satsumasendai City.
Rakuten also announced the opening of the “Ekiichi Satsumasendai” e-commerce antenna shop (http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ekiichi/), selling local Satsumasendai City products on Rakuten Ichiba.
Under the agreement, the three parties will engage in a joint undertaking to effectively use various services provided by the Rakuten Group and the resources of Satsumasendai City to further revitalize the regional economy of the Satsumasendai area. Specifically, they will strengthen the collaboration and promotion of the joint undertaking in six areas, including the operation of the e-commerce antenna shop launched today and the “hometown tax” system started by Satsumasendai City in 2016.
Rakuten is a supporter of local companies throughout Japan based on its corporate mission of empowering individuals and society through innovation and entrepreneurship. Through the joint business of this agreement, Rakuten will share the know-how it has cultivated with local companies in Satsumasendai City, and work to further stimulate the local economy and contribute to the development of society in the region.
■ The main areas of the comprehensive collaboration agreement:
(1) Promoting the use of IT by business operators and producers in Satsumasendai City
(2) Expanding sales channels of Satsumasendai products for domestic and overseas markets
(3) Promoting the attractions of Satsumasendai to tourists
(4) Promoting the use of the “hometown tax” system
(5) Developing and promoting local Satsumasendai cuisine
(6) Promoting the Satsumasendai region through the use of IT
■ Ekiichi Satsumasendai website: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ekiichi/