Tokyo, March 9, 2021 - Rakuten, Inc. today announced that it has begun accepting donations for the Disaster preparedness Fund through its online donation system, the Rakuten Clutch Special Charity Fund.
The Rakuten Clutch Special Charity Fund is an initiative launched in 2011 following the Great East Japan Earthquake. As more and more aid continued to flow in from both domestic and international sources, many requests were received to be allowed to make donations online. Over the years many have donated through the fund, and this support has been directed primarily towards raising funds to provide natural disaster relief both in Japan and internationally. To date, the fund has reached a cumulative total of over 1.2 billion yen.
In recent years, Japan and many places around the world have frequently been struck by earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters, causing significant damage to affected areas. As a result, the necessity of disaster preparedness and prevention has become increasingly important. In response, from March 2021, the 10th anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake, Rakuten will begin accepting donations for the Disaster preparedness Fund, with the goal of providing swift support to affected areas when large-scale disasters occur.
Those wishing to make donations can choose from a variety of payment methods including Rakuten Points, VISA and Mastercard credit cards including Rakuten Card, and cash transfers to a designated Rakuten Bank account.
All contributions will be widely allocated through the non-profit organization Japan Platform to support a variety of early response efforts and emergency relief activities for disasters both in Japan and overseas. Rakuten will accept donations from March 8 through August 31, 2021*.
The Rakuten Group is committed to maximizing the potential of the internet to empower the provision of aid to those in need, including charitable activities.
* Additional charities may receive donations from the Rakuten Clutch Special Charity Fund depending on future developments.
Overview of Rakuten Clutch Special Charity Fund to support disaster preparedness
1. URL: https://global.rakuten.com/corp/donation/disaster_en/disaster_en.html
2. Donation period: March 8 through August 31, 2021
3. How to donate
1) Rakuten Points
One Rakuten Point will be converted to one yen. Donations accepted starting from one point.
2) Credit card
Contributors may use any VISA or Mastercard card, including Rakuten Card. Donations accepted starting from 100 yen.
3) Cash bank transfer to a designated Rakuten Bank account
Donations from Rakuten Bank accounts are accepted 24 hours a day. Donations accepted starting from one yen. Contributors without a Rakuten Bank account may also make donations from the following site:
https://www.rakuten-bank.co.jp/company/contribution/210308/ (*Japanese only)
* The Rakuten Clutch Special Charity Fund does not issue receipts. Donations and contributions are not eligible for tax deductions.
* No transfer fees will be charged for donations through Rakuten Bank accounts for individuals.
* Transfers of donations from accounts at banks other than Rakuten Bank will incur transfer fees as determined by the respective bank of the account holder.
* Any names of companies, products and services, etc., shown above are the trademark or registered trademark of their respective companies.
About the non-profit organization Japan Platform
The Japan Platform (JPF) is a Japanese emergency humanitarian aid organization started in 2000, through which NGOs, business communities and the government of Japan work in close cooperation, based on equal partnership. JPF offers prompt and effective support to victims of natural disasters both domestically and overseas, and refugees from conflict-affected areas.