■ Name of the Service: Rakuten Super WiFi
■ Time and Date the Service Begins: From 10:00am. Monday, October 1, 2012
■ Registering for the Service: https://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/
■ Bonuses for Registration
1) Triple Rakuten Super Points:
Those who sign up for the service receive three times the normal amount of “Rakuten Super Points” for purchases made on “Rakuten Ichiba” for the first two years while using the service (*1).
2) Gift of Rakuten Super Points or Kobo Touch eBook reader:
To commemorate the launch of the service, 5,000 Rakuten Super Points, or a free kobo Touch eBook reader are given to those who sign up.
■ Details of the Service
1) High speed data communication: A maximum inbound communication speed of 75 Mbps (*2), which is comparable with optical fiber landlines.
2) Reasonable price: The “Rakuten Super WiFi” device is provided at no additional cost. A fixed monthly charge of 3,880 yen (*3) allows unlimited use of mobile data communication (*4).
3) Comes with the longest battery life in the industry: The “Rakuten Super WiFi” device can be used continuously for 9 hours, or 380 hours on standby. It can even be used during long outings with peace of mind, without worrying about recharging.
(For more details on the battery go to: https://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/wifi-router/)
4) Simultaneous connection of 10 devices: “Rakuten Super WiFi” allows 10 devices to be connected to it simultaneously (a maximum of 11 when the USB connection is included). By signing up for the service instead of a land-line based connection at home, connections for the Internet at home, smartphones, and mobile WiFi routers can all be compiled into one, allowing major savings in costs.
(For more details on communication costs go to: https://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/price/ )
5) Easy registration procedures: The Rakuten member ID is used to do away with complicated registration procedures.
(For more details on registration procedures go to: https://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/flow/ )
6) Extensive WiFi coverage: A rate of coverage exceeding 99% of the population is planned to be achieved in cities designated by ordinances and areas where prefectural governments are located (by the end of March 2013) (*5).
(For more details on WiFi coverage go to: https://superwifi.rakuten.co.jp/area/ )
(*1) As a general rule, Rakuten Super Points are given at a rate of 1% (1 point per 100 yen) for purchases made on Rakuten Ichiba. The Rakuten Super Point privileges allocated at the time of registration for “Rakuten Super WiFi” entitling users to three times the normal amount of points shall be limited to a maximum amount equivalent to 30 thousand yen spent on Rakuten Ichiba per month for the first 2 years. A two-year contract must be signed to become eligible for the extra points, and in the case of the contract being terminated before the end of the two-year term, the privilege will only cover the time up to the point of contract termination. If the contract is renewed after 2 years, the triple-point privilege is also extended to the end of the renewed contract.
(*2) The maximum speed of “Rakuten Super WiFi” will be 75 Mbps for inbound communication, and 25 Mbps for outbound communication (areas where these speeds are possible are limited).
The maximum speed in areas not covered by “Rakuten Super WiFi” but covered by “EMOBILE G4” will be 42 Mbps for inbound communication, and 5.8 Mbps for outbound communication (areas where these speeds are possible are limited). Maximum communication speeds are listed on a best effort basis only (maximum speeds attainable on the network), and they are not guaranteed at all times. Speeds vary depending on the user’s communication environment and traffic load. Refer to the EMOBILE website ( http://emobile.jp/area/ ) for more details on the area of service. Communication from the device (between the data communication device and WiFi device) shall be through wireless LAN (IEEE802.11b/g/n) (GL04P can also communicate through a USB cable connection).
(*3) Users are required to sign up for the “Rakuten Super WiFi for 2 Years + Assist 1600” plan for 2 years. In the event that the contract is terminated before the end of its two-year term, a cancelation fee is charged in accordance with the period of service use. An additional handling fees (3,150 yen) plus a universal service fee (3.15 yen/month) is also charged.
(*4) Users who use more than 3 million packets (366 MB) over 24 hours have their communication speed limited during peak traffic hours (from 9 P.M. on the same day to 2 A.M.). Furthermore, when users exceed 10 GB per month after May 2014, the communication speed is limited until the end of that month.
(*5) Rate of population coverage: Calculated based on whether communication is possible where public offices of cities, towns and villages are located. It is defined as “the sum total of the proportion of the population of cities, towns and villages that has access to communication services at the public offices of cities, towns and villages in relation to the total population of the country.”