January 13, 2015
  • Rakuten Card Co., Ltd

Rakuten Card Launches in Taiwan

Tokyo, January 13, 2015 - Rakuten Card Co., Ltd. today announced that it has established Taiwan Rakuten Card, Inc., and from January 13, 2015, the new company has begun accepting applications for and issuing Taiwan Rakuten Card credit cards. Taiwan is the first country outside Japan in which Rakuten Card has issued its own credit card.

Rakuten Card, where cardholders can earn Rakuten Super Points, Rakuten’s loyalty points program, has been highly successful in Japan. In order to develop this model in Taiwan, Taiwan Rakuten Card obtained a license to issue credit cards in Taiwan from Taiwan’s Financial Supervisory Commission in June 2014.

Taiwan Rakuten Card is a credit card with no annual fee that allows cardholders to earn Rakuten Super Points on their purchases made with the card. For each purchase, cardholders can earn Rakuten Super Points equivalent to 1% of the settlement amount of the purchase. However, when used on the Rakuten Ichiba Taiwan shopping mall, cardholders will receive an additional 1%, allowing them to earn Rakuten Super Points equivalent to a total of 2% of the settlement amount. These Rakuten Super Points can be used for shopping on Rakuten Ichiba Taiwan, with 1 point equal to 1 New Taiwan dollar, offering users a highly convenient service centered on Rakuten Super Points.

To celebrate the launch of Taiwan Rakuten Card, a campaign* is being held in which cardholders can receive 300 Rakuten Super Points for their first use of their Taiwan Rakuten Card. Additionally, campaigns aimed at cardholders travelling from Taiwan to Japan are also being held, where cardholders can receive additional Rakuten Super Points for reservations made through Taiwan Rakuten Travel and discounts at the approximately 1,800 restaurants operated by Monteroza Co., Ltd. A campaign is also scheduled to be offered from February 2015 whereby cardholders can receive a special 6% discount in addition to the duty free discount of 8% when using their Taiwan Rakuten Card at Bic Camera stores in Japan.

Taiwan Rakuten Card will strive to provide highly-satisfying services and policies to ensure that Taiwan Rakuten Card is widely adopted in Taiwan.

Company overview

Company name: Taiwan Rakuten Card, Inc.
Headquarters: 7F, No. 49, Section 3, Minsheng E. Rd., Zhongshan District, Taipei City
Date of establishment: Wednesday, June 18, 2014
President and CEO of Taiwan Rakuten Card, Inc.: Eiji Ishii

Card overview

Name: Taiwan Rakuten Card
Issuance date: Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Annual fee: Fee-free, long-term
Brands: MasterCard, Visa, JCB
Application method: Request application form online and fill in the necessary information
Incidental insurance: Travel accident insurance
Payment methods: Bank transfer, post office payment, convenience store payment, ATM transfer, bank payment (Hua Nan Bank)
Rakuten Super Points: Cardholders can earn Rakuten Super Points equivalent to 1% of the settlement amount when the card is used. When used on Rakuten Ichiba Taiwan, the cardholder can earn Rakuten Super Points equivalent to 2% of the settlement amount (the basic 1% plus an additional 1%).

1. 300 Rakuten Super Points will be awarded to users utilizing their Taiwan Rakuten Card for the first time (until December 31, 2015)

2. Users will receive Rakuten Super Points equivalent to 5% of the settlement amount when making reservations through Rakuten Travel and staying at hotels in Japan affiliated with Rakuten Travel Taiwan (about18,000 hotels in total) (until December 31, 2015)

3. At designated restaurants of Japan’s Monteroza Co., Ltd. (approximately 1,800 restaurants) a discount of 20% will be given at the time of payment, for food only (Until June 30, 2015)

*Please note that the information contained in press releases is current as of the date of release.

  • Month
  • Year
  • Category
  • Month
  • Year
  • Category