Rakuten, Inc. (the “Company”) announces that it has passed a resolution at a meeting of the Board of Directors held today to implement a shareholder benefit program for shareholders. The details are as follows:
1. Purpose of implementation
The Company will introduce a new benefit program for shareholders for the purpose of showing its gratitude to all its shareholders for their support, and offering everyone more opportunities to use the Company’s group services.
As part of our sales and marketing strategy, we plan to offer our shareholders certain specific benefits. For our shareholders who own 100 or more shares of our stock, we will grant coupons for use on Rakuten services in Japan; Rakuten Ichiba, Rakuten Travel, Rakuten Kobo, and discounted tickets for Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles games.
This is the first time for the Company to establish a shareholder benefit program. After receiving approval to change our stock market listing to the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and celebrating the first victory of the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, we believe this is an appropriate time to widely publicize our services and products. We expect the program will allow us to expand our customer base and provide more opportunities for shareholders to use our services, and hence lead to an increase in our shareholder value.
* Approximately 75% of large, listed companies with a market capitalization of at least one trillion yen in Japan have established a shareholder benefit plan by using their products and services as a marketing tool.
（Source: Daiwa Securities, Market Cap: as of August 15, 2013）
2. Outline of the benefit program for shareholders
(1) Qualified shareholders
Shareholders who are listed in the shareholder registry as of December 31, 2013 and own 100 shares (i.e. 1 share unit) or more.
(2) List of benefits for use at Rakuten services in Japan
a) A ticket to a Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles regular season home game for free (winners will be selected by lottery), or at a special discount price (*1)
b) Goods autographed by Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles players (winners will be selected by lottery)
c) Four 200 yen coupons (total value 800 yen) valid at Rakuten Ichiba (*2)
d) A 6,000 yen coupon valid for “Raku Pack” (*3) domestic or overseas tours provided by Rakuten Travel (*2)
e) A 1,500 yen coupon valid at Rkuten Kobo for content purchase only (*2)
*1 Further details about the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles game tickets (for free or at a special discount price), such as games covered by the plan, are currently under consideration, and will be announced on the Investors section of the Company website once they are decided.
*2 These coupons will be distributed through ‘RaCoupon’, one of the Company services, and Rakuten membership registration is required to use this service.
*3 ‘Raku Pack’ is a package tour product called dynamic package that allows users to freely arrange their own package by making reservations and purchases of flights and accommodation.
The Company plans to regularly offer shareholder benefits in the future.
Please understand there may be a possibility for the contents of shareholder benefits to change in future.
(3) Notification method
In March 2014, detailed information about the benefit program will be sent to qualified shareholders, enclosed with the Notice of Resolutions Adopted at the General Shareholders’ Meeting. Detailed information will be also posted on the Investors section of the Company website.
(1) This benefit program will not be offered on a selective basis. All the above benefits (except those subject to lottery) are available to qualified shareholders.
(2) To apply for this program, qualified shareholders must access the URL in Japanese indicated on the detailed information to be mailed in March 2014 with the Notice of Resolutions Adopted at the General Shareholders’ Meeting, and enter his/her shareholder number etc.
(3) This program is subject to certain terms and conditions (available period, products/services available for purchase etc). For more details, please refer to the detailed information to be sent.
This announcement shall not be deemed to constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy securities.