Rakuten Mobile's New Services Less than Half Price of Main Carriers

January 28, 2016
by RNN
  • SHARE ON:

In January 2016, Rakuten Mobile announced the launch of a 5-minuite free call option, allowing unlimited calls inside Japan within 5 minutes (*1). The plan is available for 850 yen per month, which is less than half the cost of the monthly fees charged by the main carriers in Japan.
In Japan, the awareness ratio of the MVNO (*2) business has reached as much as 78%. However, its share of the total cell phone market is still just 10%, so the remaining 90% represents a huge business opportunity. How will this launch of Rakuten Mobile’s service affect the remaining 90% share? Watch this report to find out about future developments of the service!

(*1) The "5-minute free call option" is the first ever fixed-fee unlimited call service using a telephone line by an MVNO.
(*2) MVNO stands for "Mobile Virtual Network Operator." This is a business that provides a wireless communication service for cell phones, for example, by leasing the infrastructure from another company.

About Rakuten News Network

Rakuten News Network (RNN) is an internal news site providing daily video news about Rakuten to the company's employees around the world.
The videos on this site, which are originally from RNN, offer an insight into the activities of the Rakuten Group and the various services its diverse workforce provides.